Your Voice is All I Hear by Leah Scheier

Your Voice Is All I Hear - Leah Scheier

Your Voice is All I Hear is seriously right up my alley. We all love the Sci-Fi Dysopian’s or the Urban Fantasy books. Even more though, I love books that place characters into a difficult real life affliction situations, forcing the readers to live through it with them, probably the most.

In Your Voice is All I Hear April has fallen in love for the first time with a really wonderful boy. We as the reader go through the excitement with her, how Jonah builds her up and makes her feel strong and worthy. Then, we get to ride along with her as everything crumbles when her boyfriend succumbs to mental illness.

I cried multiple times through the book. At the first sign of a problem with Jonah I set the book aside and had to take a break, because internally I was dreading the moment when everything fell apart for him. All of those emotions I felt are exactly why Your Voice is All I Hear is so good. I came to care about April and Jonah, so when they both were in so much pain I felt it. That connection is what I look for in anything I read.

Even better, was the maturity level you found in their relationship and the way everything played out. Leah Scheier wasn’t trying to give all of us the perfect ending we were all hoping for. She gave us the smart, believable, and respectable ending that Your Voice is All I Hear deserved.

I can’t end this review without mentioning that not too long ago I read and reviewed Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman, which was also about a teenage boy suffering from Schizophrenia. In Your Voice is All I Hear the story was told from the perspective someone who loved a boy through his diagnosis and treatment. In Challenger Deep the story was told from the perspective of the patient himself. Having read both books, Challenger Deep first, and because the stories shared a lot of similarities in terms of the hospital, the doctors, the other patients, and the illness itself, I think I had a unique perspective and was able to take what I’d read from Shusterman’s story and was able to better understand Jonah in this story.

By no means is it better to have read both of them, just an idea that I’d toss out there for other people who enjoy books like this also.

Your Voice is All I Hear is definitely recommendable, and I recommend it to all of you. Really really very very good.

Thank you to Sourcebooks Fire and Netgalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Want more reviews like this one? Stop by Badass Book Reviews!