Living with the Fall by Hannah Thompson

Living with the Fall - Hannah Thompson

I just want to be upfront, I was incredibly impressed with Living with the Fall. This was one of those Netgalley requests that you have very high hopes for, and I’m happy to report that I wasn’t let down at all. The cover stopped me in my tracks, the description made me request it and I am so very glad I did.

There was so much to love about this dystopian/post-apocalyptic zombie story that features LGBT characters. To start, the world building was fascinating! I’ve read quite a few post-apocalyptic zombie stories. I’m a fan of The Walking Dead. They all have slightly different takes on the virus that turns man into the living dead. However, I do believe that this is the first book I’ve read that made them actual Predators. They’re not ‘herd’ zombies. They’re PACK Zombies! Big difference.

I also loved that Flo started out as a Shepard. Growing up he was fascinated with the Hunters, so he taught himself to fight and to get really darn good at it, but his daily routine was to mind the ship with his two dogs. Pre-infection Flo was sweet and intelligent. He was a good character for readers to follow when the infection took hold. The concept that there was something inside Flo that held the virus at bay. No matter how close he came, Flo was able to keep his mind. Despite the hunger, Flo was still able to forge relationships.

Which brings me to probably my favorite part of Living with the Fall. The story is classified as LGBT, and it absolutely contained characters that were not heterosexual, but the book wasn’t defined by that aspect. It was not a romance novel. Barely 5% of this story contained any romance at all. This is a survival story. This is a action/horror story. It is a story about regular people who just happen to be gay or bi. And guess what! The sexuality of the characters is rarely even brought up. I mean, I feel like that is monumental. I just read a zombie horror story where the gay MC is not defined by being gay. The story does not revolve around whether or not being Gay will be a problem, or if he will or won’t get the guy. More stories, or television shows, like this- ones that contain a main character who is casually not hetero- can not be a bad thing. Just my opinion.

What happens now? Now I begin stalking Goodreads and Netgalley for a sequel. It certainly ended like there will be a part two. The story was very much not over. I will be sitting here, not patiently mind you, waiting for what happens next to Flo, Hulme and Dihr.

Thank you to Harmony Ink Press and Netgalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Read this and other reviews like it at Badass Book Reviews!