The Murderer's Daughter: A Novel - Jonathan Kellerman

Jonathan Kellerman has been on my radar for years. While I’m not a massive fan of Psychological Thrillers, my sister loves them. Jonathan Kellerman is her favorite author; she’s read absolutely everything he’s written. So, after putting it off for years, I thought it was probably time to tackle one of his books and The Murderer’s Daughter was the winner thanks to Netgalley.

I’m not quite sure how I feel about it, now that I’ve read it. It was a fast read, just 3 days, so it clearly held my interest. However, I can’t really put my finger on what I liked about it, if anything. I think that I just wanted to complete the mystery, see how it all played out, but now that it’s over I feel pretty underwhelmed.

It’s very clear that Jonathan Kellerman is a really great writer. He writes books that are incredibly intelligent, well researched, and well thought out. The plot was broken up with half of it taking place in the present day and the other half being told through flashbacks of Grace’s past, beginning just before she was born. The way it was written we got to read the history almost paralleling the present and slowly revealing all of the stories secrets. That was what kept me reading. I was being reeled in like a fish.

What left me feeling lukewarm was something lacking in the characters. I can’t tell if what was missing was due to Grace’s inability to show an emotional connection to anyone, and that was seeping from the story into my opinion of her, or if she just wasn’t ‘real’ enough for me to forge any kind of attachment to her. For whatever the reason, when I put the book down for the last time I knew that I wouldn’t look back or think about her or the story again. And isn’t that just the kiss of death.

The Murderer’s Daughter may have been my first Kellerman novel, but I can’t say for sure that it’ll be my last. I hear from my sister, and from other reviews, that his Alex Delaware series is much better. I didn’t dislike this one so much that I wouldn’t be willing to give it another shot. Everyone deserves a second chance. :)

Thank you to Ballantine Press and Netgalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

For this and other reviews, visit us at Badass Book Reviews!