Mira Grant Newsflesh Short

The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell: A Newsflesh Novella - Mira Grant

The Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant is a groundbreaking zombie series, in my opinion, because it doesn’t start at the beginning of the Zombie apocalypse but after the world has been rebuilt. The legitimate news comes from the independent bloggers… and in our present day I can see how that would have happened. It’s a ‘smart horror novel’.

Going into The Day the Dead Came to Show and Tell I had no idea what to expect, so I was surprised that most of this book wasn’t about the original characters from the trilogy. Familiar characters were there to write the blogging news, and through email as they discussed the events unfold at the school. It was just a tiny taste of the characters that I loved, which was disappointing, but it also worked in this story. It was a wonderful bridge between the old and the new.

It was the story itself that was tough. Perhaps it’s because I have a daughter in elementary school, but it hit really close to home. The idea that these children were in such dire circumstances killed me. It filled me with such dread, with all of my fear clogged in my throat. I admit, I had to bring down my rating just because the book was so hard to read. Feed, Blackout and Deadline were all heavy books but there’s something about a horror story where first graders are the victim just hits me too hard.

Still, part of the reason that I was so choked up was because the writing and the story were so superb. Mira Grant is brilliant. I hope she’s not finished giving us little tidbits.