In the Absence of Light by Adrienne Wilder

In The Absence of Light  - Adrienne Wilder

After reading Seven by Adrienne Wilder I immediately went and looked up her other titles, stumbling onto In the Absence of Light. On one hand I was completely intrigued, on the other hand I wasn't sure how this would be pulled off with integrity.

And that statement right there, the confusion about how a book about someone who falls in love with someone with severe autism would work, is exactly what this book is about. It's the core of the relationship between Grant and Morgan. Grant sees Morgan as having a mental illness, Morgan knows that he's just different. That's exactly what I loved about the book. I love any time a book can make me come apart and reevaluate life, see things a different way, so I as extremely pleased with this story.

Don't get me wrong, there were problems. There was a little too much legal drama that I think took away from the interesting beautiful story between Morgan and Grant, and there was too much tell and not enough show about the characters hang ups, but in the end it didn't at all take away from my enjoyment or my enlightenment.

4.5 stars