Level Hands by Amy Jo Cousins

Level Hands - Amy Jo Cousins

I think my problem with NA is how it always seems have to have an overload of angst and shades of inappropriate behavior? What about New Adults who have their crap together and don’t want to deal with troublemakers or unnecessary heartache? That’s why I loved Him by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy so much. It was about two people who mostly had their crap together, and how they tried to operate in ways that didn’t hurt the other person.

In Level Hands there was a lot of unnecessary angst. In the first half I found myself wanting to pull my hair out and scream at Rafi, beg him to get over himself and stop being his own roadblock. In my opinion, a constant frustrating anger is never a good place to be when reading a book. A burst of anger is fine, a simmering anger underneath is fine, but a constant agonizing anger is just bad because it in turns reflects on the book as a whole. It stops being ‘I hate that character’ and it becomes ‘I hate that book’.

Luckily in Level Hands I came to grips with Rafi’s character and I started recognizing his viewpoints as coming from someone in a minority trying to prove himself. Rafi was uncomfortable with feeling like he got his scholarship to meet a ‘racial quota’. Denny’s helping him get that scholarship made him feel worse about what their friendship/relationship looked like to other people. He wanted to stand on his own feet.

Denny recognized this and was so very patient. He was far more patient that I think he should have been. I would have given up on a relationship with Rafi after the first couple months.

Once I came to terms with Rafi’s head space I started enjoying the story more, and in the end I was pretty happy with it. I even joined Amy Jo Cousins mailing list so I could get the bonus chapter, and I went back and looked at the previous books in the series, wanting to read MORE. In particular I want to read the story of Cash and Steph, because that includes when Rafi and Denny first met and even the flashbacks of their meeting were awesome!

Conclusion – After an uphill battle I got to a satisfying end. 4 stars!

Thank you to Samhain Publishing and Netgalley for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Read this and other reviews like it at Badass Book Reviews!