Finding the Extraordinary in your Ordinary

The Rest of Us Just Live Here - Patrick Ness

I feel a little strange about this book. I mean, it’s the first time I’ve given one of Patrick Ness’s books less than 5 stars. (I don’t count The Knife of Never Letting Go, because the story should be judged as a whole, and my judgement is that it’s the best Dystopian series ever.) I feel like The Rest of Us Just Live Here should get a full 5 stars just because it’s a fricking Patrick Ness book and he’s my hero.

So, Mr. Ness, please know that this four 1/2 star rating in no way lessens my affections for you. :)

There are two more dead indie kids. I didn’t really know either of them, except to see them in the hallway at school, but still. “This is worse than when they were all dying beautifully of cancer,” Henna said, and she’s right.

Okay, okay, getting serious now, The Rest of Us Just Live Here was really great. I read a tweet by Patrick Ness that basically said that this story was the story of all the regular kids that Buffy saves on Graduation Day. I couldn’t get that thought out of my head while I was reading, and it actually made the story better. Watching Indie Kid Satchel was like the kids in Sunnydale watching Indie Kid Buffy, and I could imagine myself sitting in the field and talking about normal things as the gates of hell are opening and the Chosen One is out there battling the forces of evil.

I think, for me, the best part of The Rest of Us Just Live Here was the good-natured teasing about other popular books. We all love those stories; the Hunger Games, or Harry Potter, or Buffy, and even Hazel and Gus from TFioS. One or all of them left a deep impression on most readers. However, we all know that they were not really representations of the average person/teenager.

I mean, there’s a reason why the hashtag VeryRealisticYA was started and why it’s so popular. It’s not to say that we don’t enjoy those books, it’s just not a reflection of the average real life.

Anyway, so that’s what I loved about the book. I loved the glimpse from the other side.

I suppose the only reason for my slightly lesser rating was due to the ending. I’m not sure how you can end a book about the average kid in a world of awesome and leave everyone satisfied. A small part of me was disappointed by one surprise, while the larger majority of me loved how it all played out for everyone else. I can’t say too much more, as I don’t want to give anything away.

Jared asks, “Was that Finn?”
“Which Finn?” my sister says. “Aren’t all the indie kids called Finn?”
“I think there are a couple Dylans,” Henna says, “and a Nash.”

Final thoughts, The Rest of Us Just Live Here, despite a few internal struggles personally, this book is still another jewel in Mr. Ness’s crown. Amazing stories, clever tweets, humanitarian, and now famous BBC Dr. Who writer… what can’t this man do?

For this and other reviews, please visit us over at Badass Book Reviews!