Science is fire writ large.

Chimera - Mira Grant

Beware, I will be discussing things that would be spoilers for anyone who hasn’t read books one and two.

Early on I realized I would have a love hate relationship with Mira Grant’s Parasitology series. It didn’t sit well in my head how anyone would accept a tapeworm inside their bodies! Let me clarify this: A tape worm. Inside your BODY!

Never, never ever ever, does a worm even touch my body, let alone enter it! This is like ‘Monsters inside me’ and I want nothing to do with it, literally. Right off the bat, me and the series were on the outs.

Then, in the second book, it’s revealed that integral characters are actually implanted tapeworms… and it’s not supposed to change my opinion of this character. I’m supposed to be okay with them taking over someones body, acting like a human sexual being. Except, I’m not. It’s not something I can get past.

So, needless to say I was apprehensive about picking up Chimera and a lot of my old hang ups were all still there. We’re never able to forget how gross tapeworms are. The book is filled with talk about extracting segments of the implant and how the worms could be dislodged from the brain and just lost, without control, inside the host. Even just the sound of that statement gives me the willies. I can’t help but feel completely disgusted at the idea of it. Because of my worm phobia, there will always be a part of me that feels for the humans in the story, who are mostly kinda asses.

Can you blame them? I would want to eradicate the tapeworms too!

In addition to the plot that I just can not fundamentally understand, there was also a new addition to the Chimera family that was seriously hard for me. I can’t give specifics, but you’ll know it when you read it… and it’s just so wrong. The science was interesting, and I felt the new addition drove the plot-line. It doesn’t matter, my dislike was on a basic level.

Finally, Mira Grant is a brilliant writer. Her skills with horror stories are incredible. Feed is, hands down, one of my most favorite books, and that fact that her brain came up with the world of Parasitology astounds me. I’ll continue to read everything she writes, I just think this series was a little too much for me.

For this and other reviews, visit Badass Book Reviews!