Will Grayson, Will Grayson

Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green

Have you ever read a book that you were enjoying so much you were squirming? I realized about 25% into this book that I was squirming, and it was because I read something or was anticipating something that I was so excited about. Can we add this to the list of sure fire ways one knows they like a book?

I've dipped into John Green before (Looking For Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars), and I really love his writing style. I can completely see why some would say it's a bit pretentious, but I love that. I love the deep thoughts, and big words. I love the sharp wit and the self-deprecating that usually goes on. Weird, I said I loved the self-deprecating... that doesn't sound good. But the thing is, it IS good. He writes these characters that are down on themselves in such a way that it reminds you of yourself, or my teen self I should say. So anyway, I wasn't surprised that I loved Will Grayson, of the odd chapters. However, this was the very first David Levithan that I've ever read. And it definitely made me want to read more! will grayson, of the even chapters, was so dark and deep and... angry and sad. AND FUNNY! The whole lol, ttyl, <3, rotfl bit had me cracking up. And I loved how things didn't end up perfect for both Will and will, but you still had that sense of growth and hope.

Honestly, I was going to go into this review with either the intention of NOT talking about Tiny Cooper, or only mentioning that I thought he was usually a dick. Except, something happened towards the end of the book, and especially AT the end when Will went to Tiny and they talked, and Will said he loved him. And I realized that friends are sometimes nothing but big dicks. I think we can all say that there have been times when you've been a complete ass wipe to your best friend. And you can admit that they've been a big ass wipe to you. And that it doesn't matter because you just love them anyway, no matter what. That is beautiful. So anyway, in the end I loved Tiny Cooper. And I especially loved Tiny Cooper and Capital W-ill's friendship.

You know what else I loved about this book? I loved how in the end we got the conversation with Green and Levithan on how the book was born. I knew that Green wrote Odd Will and Levithan wrote Even Will, because my wonderful GR friends told me. But I had no idea that they wrote their initial chapters without conversation, just writing the chapter and then showing each other and seeing where it went. This sense of free writing, of letting the story grow, has always been what I defined a good storyteller by. And, how about this one... Tiny didn't exist for Levithan until he read Green's chapter. He was totally and completely Green's creation. And yet, he ended up playing such an amazing part of the story. Man, I wish I had that talent.

I'm rambling, I'm sorry. Books like this really inspire me. So yeah, I liked it. Somewhere between a 4 and a 4.5... (only cause I didn't cry.)