Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles Series #1)

Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles Series #1) -

Awesome start to what I think will be a very fun series.

Atticus somehow walks the line between being a pervy smart ass modern dude, and a 2000 year old wise druid. Sometimes his speech smacks of olde tyme phrases and in the next he's making gaming jokes. In short, he's written with awesome realism. You can't help but think he's cute.

Then you add to his character a host of funny and hilarious ensemble characters, the star of which is Atticus's Mans Best Friend the canine Oberon. Picture a large Irish Wolfhound that can speak telepathically with Atticus. This is the recipe for some of the funniest lines in Urban Fantasy.

For example:

[You think she's going to try something? Should I move behind her?]

No, she knows you're here. She can see through the camouflage. But I think she's hiding something from me, and I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

[When did she drop the first shoe? I missed it.]

Never mind. Just listen. Once she drinks the tea, she will try to surprise me with something. She is waiting for the contract to be fully in effect before she says anything.

[Well, then, give her back the check and send her packing! We don't need to play her witch's games. They always want to get you and your little dog, too.]

I knew I never should have let you watch The Wizard of Oz.

There are many more, this was just one of the first ones.

In addition to Oberon there are goddesses and werewolves, vampires and witches. And, there’s a little old Irish woman with a deep hatred for Brits. Basically it was loads of fun and I'm so glad I stumbled on it.